Friday, July 14, 2017

Fairfield 14: Poetry, a Reunion, and More

In the latter half of March 2017 I journeyed out to Fairfield, Iowa, with Belle and Alboart.
Belle on the left.
The pigs help keep me grounded after several hours of group meditation in the Golden Dome each day, on the campus of Maharishi University of Management (MUM). They approve of the plentiful vegetarian food, and remind me to partake often.

The place I had stayed last November was already booked when I enquired, so I stayed at the Men's Peace Palace for the first time.
Men's on the left, Women's on the right.
The ground floor has several meeting rooms and the upper floor has seven-ish guest rooms for rent. Mine looked out onto the back. The public spaces were adopting a new, less pastel color scheme. At first, colors were being tested.
Later on the new palette was taking hold.

Early in my visit I attended a poetry reading by Bill Graeser, Rustin Larson, and Glenn Watt. The event consisted of two rounds wherein each poet recited from their work for ten minutes.

Here's the setting in the MUM library.
Rustin Larson.
Glenn Watt, an avid birder.
But Bill's my main poet.
Thanks, guys!

Early in the visit I had a chat with Dr. Birx, the TM-Sidhi administrator. Any certified TM teacher can check your TM meditation, but only a handful of TM-Sidhi administrators exist. He wanted to follow up during my next visit, and I'm sure we'll have more to talk about.

I also reconnected with Tom Hall. Tom and Jill Murphy (later Hall) were the TM teachers in Knoxville, Tennessee when I was attending UT; Tom interviewed me and Jill was my TM instructor, and Jill taught the SCI (Science of Creative Intelligence) course when it first came out. Although I had bumped into Tom once or twice at MUM in the last couple of years -- he splits his time between Atlanta and Fairfield -- and learned that Jill had passed away, we hadn't had a chance to catch up.

Tom invited me to have dinner at his new condo in North Campus Village.
He was lucky, because there's a waiting list for these units, but a friend of Tom's who had made a deposit on one later decided not to purchase, and the developer was willing to transfer the sale to Tom.

He whipped up a Thai-style dinner while the NCAA basketball final was on the TV, and four of us, including his son Orion and a friend of Orion, sat down to eat and to chat. It gave Tom and me a chance to sketch in what had happened to us over the last thirty years or so. Afterward Orion took a photo.
Tom on the right.

I took two "day spa" treatments at the Raj. Before when I've booked at the Raj it's been for several days of the full panchakarma regimen, which includes pulse diagnosis and consultations with the director of the Ayurveda program, special meals, and extended daily treatments. I didn't feel ready to jump into all that again, and the "day spa" allowed me to simply book treatments, albeit from a restricted set, not from the whole panoply that the director might prescribe. I had two shirodara, oil on the forehead, very soothing. I fell asleep during the second one.

During the two weeks I toured the campus, its landmarks, and immediate environs, as well as shopped for a couple of friends back in Columbus.

The bridge over nothing was now complete: there were caps on the "interior" posts, which had been bare wood back in November.
A closeup.
The nearby bridge that actually spans Crow Creek now has wooden safety wings instead of yellow tape.
The removal of dead wood and replanting of the area along the creek made progress over the winter.

Looking towards the Dome.
By the end of my visit the banks of the creek had been completely cleared of deadwood. Future plans include appropriate species such as willow.

This view combines the Argiro Student Center and the miniature Vedic Observatory.

Closer to downtown an old house -- check out the stone foundation -- had been demolished (click on the image to enlarge). Who knows what I'll see on this lot next visit?

Several of Irene Murphy's paintings are on display at Everybody's Cafe, where I met her for lunch.
She likes flowers.
One afternoon I took a long walk along the reservoirs on the Jefferson County Loop Trail, not far from campus. Halfway on a flock of huge birds flew by, high enough to be in controlled airspace, first heading north and then northeast. The light was such that the maximum zoom photo was almost black and white to begin with, and I completed the job with the GIMP.
Does anyone recognize the silhouette?
This striking sunset framed the Men's Dome (the Maharishi Patanjali Golden Dome).
At the Women's Dome (Bagambhrini Golden Dome) some drainage work (pipe replacement, apparently) was going on.

On a misty evening I experimented with photos. Here's the Men's Dome, viewed from the north. Note that the padlocked basement entrance is nonetheless well illuminated.
A look at the Women's Dome from the parking lot. It's backlit by the spotlights for the Invincibility Tower.

Then after two very restorative weeks it was time to head home again.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! Thanks for the Fairfield tour. Very good images.
    -Bill Graeser

    ReplyDelete

Comments may not appear immediately as they are moderated by the author to eliminate spam.