Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jean Branch 3/23/1924 - 1/26/2012

My mother, Jean Branch (Nelson), passed away last Thursday, January 26th, 2012. I will post a photo essay after sorting through family pictures and scanning the keepers, which might take a while. For now, I'll copy and paste the obituary from the Knoxville News-Sentinel.
BRANCH, JEAN NELSON - age 87 of Knoxville, TN passed away at her home Thursday, January 26, 2012. She was a talented water color artist and a longtime member of the Covert Coloring Society. Jean was also a world traveler with her husband Neal during the 1980s and 1990s. She is preceded in death by her husband of 66 years, Neal Branch; brother, Edward Nelson; and her parents. Jean is survived by her two sons, Mark and Benson. A wonderful mother, wife and beloved friend of everyone who knew her, she will be greatly missed by all. "Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow; I am the diamond glints on the snow. I am the sunlight on ripened grain; I am the gentle autumn's rain. When you awaken in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight. I am the soft star that shines at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there; I did not die." At her request no services are planned. In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations may be made to the American Cancer Society , 871 Weisgarber Road, Knoxville, TN 37909. Arrangements by Cremation Options, Inc. (865) 6WE-CARE (693-2273) www.cremationoptionsinc.com.


 

3 comments:

  1. my condolence's on the passing of your mother, i have a painting of hers, of an english cottage, which i dearly love. it appears to be an oil painting rather than watercolour, did she do much in oil? or am i mistaken and it really is watercolour? ponokaal@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered that there is another Jean Branch, Jean S. Branch, who was an oil painter. My mother was Jean N. Branch. It's possible that your painting came from Jean S?

      Delete
  2. She did a lot of oil and acrylic early on, so it's quite possible that your painting is oil. I have one, a still-life, that's oil. Almost all her work from the last couple of decades has been watercolor, as far as I know.

    And thank you for your sympathies. I brought a half-dozen or so of her paintings home, and they are both a sad and happy reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Comments may not appear immediately as they are moderated by the author to eliminate spam.