Thursday, July 30, 2009

Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04, part 1

My computer had been running Ubuntu 8.10 for quite a while; I don't like to jump to a new release as soon as it comes out, so that if & when I encounter a problem, a solution is out there on the Net somewhere. I decided to upgrade to 9.04 (the numbers indicate the release of April, 2009 -- Ubuntu updates every six months) in June, and everything appeared to go smoothly with the downloading of the packages and their install. Then I rebooted, and after the grub screen got:

root device not found
/dev/md0 does not exist
#


I was not a happy camper, to say the least. My software-defined RAID-1 array of two hard drives wasn't being found by the new bootloader. Time to reference the web! I booted from an 8.10 CD, and discovered that I wasn't alone. To continue from the BusyBox shell prompt, I learned, I could type

mdadm --assemble --scan; exit

This would cause the block devices to be scanned for RAID members and assemble any arrays. Then the boot would continue. To permanently fix the problem, and have the system boot normally, I had to create a new
initramfs/initrd by doing a reconfigure of the linux-image package:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic

There were also duplicated lines in the file /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf, but I don't know if they were actually creating a problem or not.

This degree of excitement was unexpected, but it was the only serious problem. There were, of course, annoyances, improvements, and adaptations with the new system, which I will make the fodder of another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may not appear immediately as they are moderated by the author to eliminate spam.